Posted on Tuesday 17th March, 2020

COVID-19 Update

COVID-19 Update – MARCH 24, 2020

Dear members,

By now you would all be aware of yesterday’s announcement (see below) that BMTA would be suspending all competitions until April 20th due to the escalating COVID-19 situation. Late yesterday, BMTA’s governing body, Touch Football Australia (TFA), released their latest announcement after a meeting with Sport Australia and Government Health experts. TFA’s announcement confirmed BMTA’s decision to suspend all competitions however required that the season be suspended until Monday 4th of May 2020.

As a result, BMTA will update the current return date for all Adult Social and Junior Girls competitions to the week of May 4th, 2020.

Obviously as the COVID-19 situation continues to develop this date will be reviewed with the aim of getting our teams back on the field as soon as it is safe to do so. We would like to reiterate that it is still the intent of BMTA to play out the current season on a delayed timeline. Therefore, we are not able to answer any questions regarding fees that have been paid, either for competitions or for the Mustangs program.

BMTA very much appreciate your patience and understanding through this extremely uncertain time and ensure you that we are working hard to provide you with continual updates as the COVID-19 situation develops.

Please stay safe during your time away from the game, do your part to help reduce the spread and hopefully we will all be back out playing the game we love soon!


Christopher Davis

General Manager


COVID-19 Update – MARCH 23, 2020

Dear members,

Over the past week we have all watched as COVID-19 (Coronavirus) continues to impact our lives in more and more ways. We have made some adjustments to our behaviours, we have become aware of social distancing, but unfortunately it has not been enough, and things are not improving.

At BMTA, we have been constantly reviewing all the available information provided to us by Touch Football Australia, Queensland Touch and the State and Federal Governments. Unfortunately, we can no longer provide opportunities to play touch football that work within the most recent guidelines announced by the Federal Government last night.

As such, the board and management have made the following decisions:

  • BMTA will postpone all adult social competitions until the week of April 20th. This date aligns with the previously announced postponement of the junior girls’ competition.
  • All Junior Mustangs training will be ceased until the 24th of April.
  • The Annual General Meeting will be postponed for at least 30 days.
  • There will be no referee training until the 24th of April.

Although we will stay across the situation as it develops, BMTA will review the advice that is available and provide an update to determine if a return to play is appropriate in the week of April 13th.

By providing definitive dates, we hope that this provides you, your teams and your families some clarity over the next month.

As this situation is still moving so quickly, we are not in a position to answer any questions regarding fees that have been paid, either for competitions or for the Mustangs. Our intent is to play out the season after this break, however if this was to change, we would undoubtedly need to look at some alternatives.

This will be an incredibly challenging time for our whole society, and BMTA is no different. We are a non-profit sporting association who employs 6 permanent and 8 casual staff; we have 4 hectares of playing fields that will continue to grow each day and we have over 3,000 people who have lost (for now) their weekly social outlet to play a game of touch football.

I urge everyone to stick together (at least 1.5m apart 😊), stay safe and prepare to come back to BMTA ready to play very soon. BMTA has been around for over 45 years and if there’s one thing Mustangs do well, it’s move forward, together, as one herd.


Christopher Davis

General Manager